- At Wallawong, we’re passionate about breeding the highest-quality beef cattle. We choose to work with Murray Grey and Angus cattle as we believe they have the greatest ability to produce the ideal domestic beef carcase – and we enjoy working with them. We’re excited by the challenge of making breeding decisions for the long term and want to use our abilities to make a difference in our clients’ beef businesses.
Owners Kate and Lachlan James both studied Rural Science at UNE Armidale, with Lachlan specialising in Meat Science and Kate specialising in Genetics. We know what sets the best cattle apart from the rest – Kate being involved in meat judging teams for Australia and Lachlan with the Colorado State University in the USA. We’ve got extensive local experience too, judging beef cattle at the Hobart and Perth Royal Shows, as well as closer to home.
Wallawong Murray Grey stud was founded in 1990. Since the original female purchase we have increased our stud breeding herd to 125 cows. Our female herd is run on pasture 365 days of the year. Females must calve annually to remain in the herd.
Wallawong Angus was founded with the purchase of 34 PTIC cows in 2015 from Woodbourn Angus Tasmania along with the $18,000 sire Landfall Modest F72. The Woodbourn cows were in calf to F72 or the $30,000 sale topper Koojan Hills Africa G8. Subsequent AI programs have included Ayrvale Bartel E7, Dunoon Evident E614 and Sitz Upward 307R. Further cow and bull purchases have been made from Kansas Angus, Stoney Point Angus SA and Dance Angus NSW with the first Wallawong Angus bulls being successfully sold in 2017.
The cattle are run on two properties, Marriot Park and Wilberoi, located in the Curlewis and Boggabri area of New South Wales.
We have conducted our Annual Carcase Quality Murray Grey bull sale each July for 17 years, offering 25 Breedplan-recorded bulls, 20 registered females and commercial females at Marriot Park, Gunnedah.
Our Angus bulls are offered at Emerald AgGrow Bull Sale and Ag Quip Field Days annually as well as paddock sales.
In partnership with our clients we exhibit regularly in steer and carcase competitions, often being placed highly including being awarded:
- 2011 RAS Middleweight Champion Carcase,
- 2012 RAS Lightweight Reserve Champion Steer
- 2013 RAS Lightweight Reserve Champion Carcase
- 2013 UHBB Grand Champion Led Steer
- 2014 UHBB Champion Unled Steer
- 2015 RAS Heavyweight Champion Carcase and Grand Champion Carcase
- 2015 Wingham Beef Week Heavyweight and Champion Unled and Jackpot winning Carcase
- 2015 UHBB Heavyweight and Grand Champion Unled Steer
- 2015 UHBB Heavyweight and Grand Champion Unled Carcase
- 2015 UHBB Reserve Heavyweight and Reserve Champion Led Carcase
We are committed to our job as seedstock producers. We regularly travel interstate to inspect potential AI sires and secure the best cattle genetics. We take the time to research the many sires available and take opportunities when they arise. Our semen and embryo breeding programs produce exceptional results and ensure strong pedigrees.
Above all, you can have confidence in the selections we are making as we always apply strict physical selection criteria alongside performance data. There is no guess work when we are buying a bull for you, and there should be no guess work for you when buying a bull from us. We are here to help you select genetics that will benefit your operation, so please talk to us about your Murray Grey and Angus beef cattle needs.
Our vision is to be the genetic partner in your beef cattle business.
Our mission is to provide industry-relevant beef cattle genetics that impact positively on your business in an honest, ongoing relationship.
Client benefits of working with Wallawong
It is our goal to improve your beef cattle business through the animals, genetics and services we provide. We pride ourselves on the quality of genetics and phenotype that we offer you. We are always striving to search out and secure the next genetic package that will make a difference to your business. In short, we do the homework, travel and selection so you don’t have to.
We run a commercial herd as well as stud cattle. Breeding cattle is a business for us and not a hobby. We use our own bulls in the commercial herd and we would use any bull offered for sale in our own herd. You can be assured that we are studying and listening to what the market wants and we are not swayed by short-term trends, but focused on the long-term bottom line.
Client satisfaction is the key to our business. We want you to enjoy dealing with us. Therefore, we will communicate regularly with you and keep in contact to evaluate our breeding directions and fix any problems should they arise.
Other unique benefits of working with us include:
- Dealing with people that are friendly, that listen to your needs and can recommend genetics to suit your situation.
- Access to industry-leading genetics in a commercially focused package that will make a difference your business.
- Feeling confident in our sound knowledge of the cattle industry and the breeding directions we are taking.
- An open day every year prior to the sale, where you are welcome to inspect our animals in a non-sale environment.
- Our sale is held on-property so animals are less stressed.
- Receiving comprehensive Breedplan information and guarantees on breeding animals.
- Excellent delivery options, quite often free.
- You have a seedstock producer who maintains communication and that you can pick up the phone and talk to. We will fix any problems should they arise.
- We can offer you additional services to enhance your beef business such as artificial insemination programs, pregnancy testing and female selection. Improvements in these areas can have a big impact on your operation.
We look forward to partnering you in your cattle breeding enterprise and ensuring that you are receiving the best possible experience.